Wordless Wednesday: A Favorite Chair

Granddaughter: LadyD Books


 Wordful Wednesday

I LOVE the opening line, "My mother worked so late at the Blue Tile Diner that Grandma and I fell asleep in our big chair waiting for her." A Chair For Always, written by Vera B. Williams is close to my heart because I am a Grandma and indeed, I have a favorite chair. My granddaughter learned to roll-over. Ah yes, gravity. Way to go baby!





Have you read this book? The inside flap reads:

"There are some things that Rosa just knows. She knows that she can't wait to meet her new baby cousin, due to be born at any minute, right upstairs. She knows that she will grow up and move away and maybe go to college, and perhaps even become the president of the United States. And she knows that the chair -- that wonderful, beautiful chair, the chair for her mother -- will always be there.


Always.


Just the way it is. Covered in velvet with roses all over it, ready, for who-knows-what new adventure..."
 You will find the depth of feeling in such a simple 5* children's book

Here's one review:

“Soft, brightly colored gouache art…affectingly captures the close bond among family members as they celebrate a new arrival and an old friend: Rosa’s treasured chair. The bustling scenes of family life that stuff the pages of this warm intergenerational story should prove irresistible.” (Publishers Weekly )


A Chair for Always

Do you have a favorite chair?






“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis







My Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. That story is a favorite of mine. I still remember my elementary school teacher reading it to me, and of course I've read it to my children. Multiple times. We own it, in fact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that beautiful baby! Rolling, rolling, rolling

    ~Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents have a couple of neat rocking chairs I really love. They are antiques and belonged to their parents. Chairs with a history are on top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a favorite chair that belonged to hubby's dad that the hubby remembers sitting on as a child - so now it's cool that Princess Nagger gets to experience it as a child, too. :)

    LOVE the pictures!!

    WW: Creative Play

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Grandma to get to witness grandbabies first! Mine are so far away I only get to see them once or twice a year. the youngest I still do not remembers who we are, sigh.... enjoy the sweetness :) (thanks so the kind words for my grandson who broke his leg) ~Faythe

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!