10 Recommended Reading for 1st and 2nd Graders



LadyD Books: Recommended Reading for 1st and 2nd grade


 I try to visit our local library at least once a week. I love hearing my grandchildren read aloud and of course, I'm always available to read a story with the children by my side. I've put together a little list of some very cool books for 1st and 2nd graders.

1. It's a detective story by David A. Adler
Young Cam Jansen and the Molly Shoe Mystery

 Will gumshoe Cam find Aunt Molly?s shoes? Aunt Molly is in town. Cam Jansen and her best friend, Eric Shelton, are at the airport to greet her. They find Aunt Molly, but her favorite high heels are missing! Did she leave them in Peru, or China, or behind a trash can? Cam clicks her way through this brain-twisting easy-to-read mystery.

Recommended Reading for 1-2 grades: LadyD Books




2. It's a Horses and Friendship story by Catherine Hapka

Meg has pony books, pony toys, and pony clothes. And on her first day at a new school, Meg meets two girls who are as pony crazy as she is!

Pony Scouts: Pony Crazy: I Can Read Level 2 (I Can Read Book 2)




Pinky, Dinky, Doo


3. Humor by Jim Jinkins

Pinky Dinky Doo: Where Are My Shoes? (Pinky Dinky Doo Series)

Pinky can’t find her shoes, so she goes to school with food on her feet. That’s right — food! Then she finds out that lunch will be slipper salad, barbecued cowboy boots, and frozen flip flops. This is one crazy mix-up! What will Pinky do? She’d better Think Big!

The Best Teacher in Second Grade

4. It's about a new kid in school by Katharine Kenah

With a nudge from the teacher, a little girl shares her idea of a midnight circus with the rest of Room 75—and saves the Family Night show!
The Best Teacher in Second Grade: I Can Read Level 2 (I Can Read Book 2)

Trouble on the Train


5. Cowboys, outlaws by Catherine Lukas
Can the cowboy Pablo and Cowgirl Tasha save the train from the bandits?

Trouble on the Train (The Backyardigans) (Ready-To-Read Backyardigans - Level 1)

My Pony Jack




6. The book is about horses by Cari Meister

Meet Jack! Taking care of a pony is fun, but it’s a lot of work, too. Readers can follow along as Lacy grooms her pony, Jack—from brushing his coat and tail to cleaning his hooves. This simple story with irresistible illustrations showing lots of visual clues is perfect for children just learning to read on their own. A picture glossary of terms is included.

My Pony Jack

How To Drive Your Sister Crazy




7. Humor, families by Diane Z. Shore


Do you have a big sister?
Do you know how to drive her crazy?
With a rubber snake, some bubble gum, and a really great hiding space, Bradley Harris Pinkerton shows you just how easy it is!

How to Drive Your Sister Crazy (I Can Read Book 2)

Oliver Pig


8. Friendship, building by Jean Van Leeuwen

Oliver wants to build the biggest, tallest, strongest, best fort ever. It will be so cool. But there are a few problems along the way. Luckily for Oliver, his good pals James and Albert are eager to pitch in. It’s a big job. Find out in four funny chapters just how they do it.

Oliver Pig and the Best Fort Ever (Oliver and Amanda)

Drip, Drop




9. It's about mice, sleep, rain by Sarah Weeks

It's raining, and Pip Squeak's roof is leaking. He tries to catch the water with pots, pans, cups, and cans -- he even tries using a shoe! But the drips and the drops just won't stop. What will Pip Squeak do?
Drip, Drop (I Can Read Book 1)

I Will Surprise My Friend

10. Best friends, surprise

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

I Will Surprise My Friend! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)

What additional reading would you suggest to add to the list?






 “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF

Post a Comment

As always, so nice to hear from you!