The Friday 56: Water for Elephants


Cover Artist: Charles Mason

LadyD Books is participating, along with Freda,  in a weekly book meme called The Friday 56

I apologize dear readers for missing out on your selections this past week. My sister-in-law had a massive stroke. Life can be so fragile at times. She is making progress during her stay at rehab. It is a balance, I suppose to walk about and smell the roses and then to come inside and chat on the internet with all the lovely peeps in my life, thank you.

When I am able to join in, I love to share what holds my interest. I must say, Sara Gruen's Historical Romance Novel, Water for Elephants, has captured my complete attention!

You can find the excerpt on Page 56 here:

"He grabs me by the scruff and smashes my face into the door frame. With his  other hand, he yanks open the sliding door and 
chucks me inside. I fall forward, my hands outstretched."

 -- The story is told as a series of memories by Jacob Jankowski, a "ninety or ninety-three-year-old" man who lives in a nursing home.

I'm interested to know what book you are holding as well.








“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this book for the longest time! Now, this excerpt and the fact that it's written from the memories of an older person makes me want to grab it...soon.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie, and unfortunately didn't like it. I hope the book is better, it usually is.
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Someone needs to take an anger management course!

    What an awful memory for someone of that age to have!

    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki pretty much summed up my reaction to the lines, someone is a little grumpy. I've been wanted to read this one but just haven't found the time.

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!