California Poppy

I joined Quote It Saturday and Flowers on Saturday

California Poppy: LadyD Books

The California poppy (Eschscholzia californica) is a perennial plant, native to the United States, and the official state flower of California. These happy flowers grow all around my ranch.

The California Poppy: LadyD Books

The Poppy can grow 5–60 cm tall, with alternately branching blue-green foliage. The leaves are alternately divided into round, lobed segments. With a little rain, I can pretty much guarantee the Poppy will spring up again and again with a lovely display.

California Poppy in my yard

The flowers are solitary on long stems, silky-textured, with four petals, each petal 2–6 cm long and broad; their color ranges from yellow to orange, and flowering is from February to September.

Beautiful Orange Poppies: LadyD Books

The petals close at night or in cold, windy weather and open again the following morning, although they may remain closed in cloudy weather. They grow best in full sun. I am fortunate to have my own field of the California Poppy.

Poppy Quotes:

“Through the dancing poppies stole A breeze most softly lulling to my soul.” 

-- John Keats

“The poppies hung Dew-dabbed on their stalks.” 

-- John Keats 

7 comments:

  1. wonderful photos... Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos and love the quotes! We have red poppies here, but I've not seen orange which is one of my favorite colors!
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images and quotes :)

    Here is my QIS :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never seen poppies in yellow, they look lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I love that brilliant orange. I haven't seen poppies in that color before. Great quotes, gotta love 'dew-dabbed'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those vivid colors. Poppies are so pretty!

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange is my favorite color! Awesome poppies :)

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!